Most Immigration Lawyers that care for their work are tired of Mr. Dobbs. Mr. Leopold from AILA posted a valid statement about Dobbs’ campagin of Hate:
CNN has a journalistic obligation to dump Lou Dobbs and his campaign of hate against immigrants.
It is unthinkable that a major network would permit someone to build a career based on fear and hatred of human beings. Why the double standard when it comes to immigrants?
As Janet Murguia, the President and CEO of the National Council of La Raza pointed out yesterday in her Huffington Post blog, http://bit.ly/Mk0ez, Dobbs disgarded any sense of journalistic objectivity or integrity (assuming he had any to begin with) when he openly participated in an anti-immigrant rally in Washington, DC sponsored by the Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR), an organization designated by the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) as a hate group. According to SPLC:
· FAIR was founded by John Tanton, who also operates a racist publishing company and has compared immigrants to “bacteria.”
· FAIR has employed members of white supremacist groups in key positions.
· FAIR has promoted racist conspiracy theories.
· FAIR has accepted more than $1 million from the Pioneer Fund, a foundation devoted to eugenics and to proving a connection between race and IQ.
· FAIR president Dan Stein once suggested that Asians and Hispanics were engaged in “competitive breeding.”
Of course Dobbs’ recent display of hate mongering is just his most recent in a long line of abuse including, as Murguia points out in her blog,
· His regular use of guests representing hate groups, vigilantes, and nativists as experts on immigration
· His relentless repetition of stories on immigrants and crime that project an impression far from reality
· His association of immigrants as carriers of disease that has been both inaccurate and pejorative
Enough is enough.
If CNN is serious about responsible broadcast journalism it must put an end to Lou Dobbs’ hateful tirade once and for all.