Social Security Numbers for Deferred Action Recipients

With recent Deferred Action cases getting approved by USCIS, those who are able to get work authorization will also need a social security number. Once work authorization has been approved, a person who has been granted Deferred Action should apply for a social security number directly with their Social Security Administration office.

When applying for a social security number, the Deferred Action recipient must bring their Employment Authorization Card (I-766) along with proof of age and identity. Such documents to prove age and identity include the following:
• Foreign birth certificate;
• Foreign passport;
• U.S. military record;
• U.S. military identification card;
• Religious record showing age or date of birth;
• U.S. driver’s license;
• U.S. state-issued identification card;
• School record showing age or date of birth;
• School identification card; or
• Copy of medical record.

With any of these documents, the Social Security Administration can issue you a social security number so that you may work here in the U.S. It is important to note that with the documents mentioned above require either originals of these documents or copies certified by the agency issuing those documents are the only acceptable ones.

Thanks to this guidance from the Social Security Administration, those granted Deferred Action can take their employment authorization and start working in the U.S. This step shows the intent of this immigration policy being carried out just as it was intended. More information from the Social Security Administration can be found here.