Marriage Visa Law – Ten Tips for Proper Filing of Marriage Based Adjustment of Status Forms

From time to time, we are providing more information about the above referenced process. Although it may seem to be simple, we suggest you to consult a qualified immigration attorney before filing the application to become a permanent resident based on marriage to a US Citizen.

Prior to submitting the forms to Department of Homeland Security, there are 10 simple technical tips to follow for proper filing. They are as follows:
1. Use the most current edition of the form available on the USCIS Website; (
2. Follow instructions on the form to see if you qualify for the benefit sought (For example, if you entered the country illegally you are not eligible to file form I-485 and continue with this process);
3. If a question does not apply to you, make sure you write “NONE” or “N/A”, never leave a box empty on the forms or else the case may be delayed;
4. Type the information. If typing is not feasible, then print legibly, if printing use a Black ink pen only. Just type the forms, trust us!
5. Don’t forget the appropriate filing fee. Make the check or money order payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Do not send cash. The fee for a complete adjustment case is $1365. The work permit and travel authorization are included in this fee, no need to pay per form;
6. Make sure the Petitioner or Beneficiary signs and dates where appropriate, if you forget to sign, the USCIS will send you back the entire case;
7. Do not forget the supporting documentation to support the petition or application (clear copies of marriage certificate, divorce papers and and birth records are a must);
8. Send the petition to the correct mailing address – Mail or Overnight the package certified return receipt via the U.S. Postal Service, FedEx, etc. For Mail, send the complete application to:
USCIS Lockbox Addresses:
For United States Postal Service (USPS) deliveries:
P.O. Box 805887
Chicago, IL 60680-4120
For private couriers (non-USPS) deliveries:
131 South Dearborn – 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603-5517. If the petition is sent to the wrong mailing address, the petition can be rejected for improper filing.

9. Make copies of everything you send for records, NEVER send originals to USCIS as you will never see the papers again and you will need to resent originals only at the interview.

10. Start collecting all the necessary documents to establish your life together as a Husband and wife your interview will be just a few months away.

Click here for step by step filing instructions