F1 Visas: I-120 may be issued to Same Sex couples New Guidance

Guidance following the Courts Decisions on Same Se Marriage continue to be released. The latest is regarding Student Visas.

The Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs has advised consulates that their officials may issue derivative visas based on same – sex marriage if the marriage is “recognized in the place of celebration.” That is, if the country where the couple married recognizes same – sex marriage as legal, then the U.S. government will recognize the union as legal for visa issuance, irrespective of where the couple plans to reside.

So from now on School DSOs and other officials may issue I-20 to same sex spouses of F1 and M1 students. These are ground breaking changes and we are excited. See the email below with the announcement.