USCIS Announces 24-Month Extension of Status for I-751 and I-829 Conditional Permanent Residents


Welcome back to Visalawyerblog! We hope our readers had a wonderful Labor Day weekend. We kick off the start of a brand-new week with great news for I-751 Removal of Conditions applicants.

On September 3, 2021, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced that effective September 4, 2021, the agency will now be extending the time that receipt notices can be used to show evidence of lawful status for conditional permanent residents who must file Form I-751 Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence or Form I-829 Petition by Investor to Remove Conditions on Permanent Resident Status.

As of September 4, 2021, USCIS will issue receipt notices automatically extending a conditional resident’s period of lawful status from 18 to 24 months, following the proper filing of Form I-751 or I-829 to remove conditions on permanent residence. The additional time period has been given to accommodate the lengthy processing times for both Form I-751 and Form I-829 during the COVID-19 pandemic.

How can I show evidence of my lawful status once I have submitted I-751 or I-829?

Effective September 4, 2021, conditional permanent residents who properly file Form I-751 or Form I-829 will receive a receipt notice (Notice of Action) in the mail that can be presented along with Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card (also known as a Green Card), as evidence of continued status for up to 24 months past the expiration date on the Green Card, while the removal of conditions application remains pending with USCIS.

What if I filed my I-751 case before September 4, 2021?

For those who properly filed their Form I-751 or Form I-829 before September 4, 2021, USCIS has said that it will issue new receipt notices to eligible conditional permanent residents whose cases remain pending. Applicants may use those receipt notices as evidence of continued status for 24 months past the expiration date on their Green Card.

Can I travel with the 24-month extension?

Yes. Applicants who provide their 24-month receipt notice extension (Notice of Action) received by mail can travel provided they also present the extension notice along with Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card (also known as a Green Card),

However, conditional permanent residents who plan to be outside of the United States for a year or more must apply and receive a reentry permit by filing Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, before leaving the country.

Where can I find more information about this announcement?

Click here for more information regarding the automatic extension.

Helpful Links

Questions? If you would like to schedule a consultation, please text 619-569-1768 or call 619-819-9204.


Need more immigration updates? We have created a new facebook group to address the impact of the new executive order and other changing developments related to COVID-19. Follow us there.

For other COVID 19 related immigration updates please visit our Immigration and COVID-19 Resource Center here.