In this blog post, we alert our readers to a new broadcast message issued by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).
Earlier this year, the U.S. Department of State (DOS) provided updated guidance explaining that Consular officers have the authority to issue F or M student visas for up to 365 days in advance of an international student’s program start date.
However, in its broadcast ICE has clarified that this new guidance DOES NOT change the requirement for issuing Forms I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status,” in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), nor paying the I-901 SEVIS Fee, nor regulations governing admission into the United States.
Despite the advance issuance of an F or M visa, ICE clarifies that students can only enter the United States 30 days before their program start date as listed on their Form I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status.
Students who attempt to enter the United States more than 30 days before their program start date may be found inadmissible by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP).
ICE notes to help ensure smooth entry into the United States, students and school officials should confirm the following prior to arrival at a U.S. port of entry:
- Students have an active I-901 SEVIS Fee payment on the Form I-20 that they are traveling under.
- The name of the school on the Form I-20 matches the name of the school on the visa.
- Student financial information remains up to date in SEVIS.
- Students do not attempt to enter the United States more than 30 days in advance of their Program Start Date.
Increase in Student and Exchange Visitor Visa Fee
Students should be aware that the State Department published a final rule in March announcing an increase to certain nonimmigrant visa application processing fees, including student and exchange visitor visa fees (F, M and J). The cost for student and exchange visitor visas will increase from $160 to $185 and will take effect on May 30, 2023.
For additional information regarding the Final Rule on Nonimmigrant Visa Fee Increases, please click here.
For reminders related to the I-901 SEVIS Fee and nonimmigrant student financial information, please visit the associated FAQs on ICE.gov.
Contact Us. If you would like to schedule a consultation, please text 619-569-1768 or call 619-819-9204.
- Broadcast Message: U.S. Department of State Provides Updated Visa Issuance Guidance
- Publication of Final Rule on Nonimmigrant Visa Fee Increases
- Schedule of Fees for Consular Services-Nonimmigrant and Special Visa Fees Final Rule
- U.S. Department of State Guidance on Visa Issuance FAQs
- June Visa Bulletin
- USCIS Processing Times
- USCIS Announces End of COVID-Related Flexibilities
- USCIS Processing Times
- Immigrant Visa Backlog Report
- DOS Visa Services Operating Status Update
- ImmigrationU Membership
- Success stories
- Youtube channel
JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP
Need more immigration updates? We have created a new facebook group to address the impact of the new executive order and other changing developments related to COVID-19. Follow us there.
For other COVID 19 related immigration updates please visit our Immigration and COVID-19 Resource Center here.