Articles Posted in Non-Citizens

barelydevi-bakery-4737781_1280Beginning March 1, 2026, the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) will restrict its flagship loan programs—like the 7(a) and 504 loans—to businesses that are 100 % owned by U.S. citizens or U.S. nationals whose primary residence is in the United States.

Under the revised policy, lawful permanent residents (green card holders) are no longer permitted to hold any ownership stake (direct or indirect) in businesses seeking SBA‑backed loans.

A notice published by the agency earlier this month explains, “SBA is requiring that 100% of all direct and/or indirect owners of a small business applicant be U.S. Citizens or U.S. Nationals who have their Principal Residence in the United States, its territories or possessions.”

This rule removes a long-standing exception that previously allowed limited minority ownership of up to 5% by non‑citizens (such as E-2 investors) or green card holders under certain conditions.

Officials say the new rules implement President Trump’s January 2025 executive order, “Protecting the American People Against Invasion,” described as an effort to enforce U.S. immigration laws and safeguard public safety.

Continue reading

family-1266188_1280

A chilling photo of 5-year-old Liam Conejo Ramos in Minnesota has put a human face to rising concerns over aggressive immigration enforcement actions taken by ICE officials.

Since that photo made national headlines, we’ve learned that federal immigration agents detained the boy and his father outside their home in Columbia Heights, a Minneapolis suburb, as they returned from the boy’s preschool.

According to the superintendent of the school district, the boy was removed from the family vehicle in the driveway and was told by agents to knock on the family’s door to see if anyone else was inside. The family said ICE agents used the boy in an attempt to coax his mother out of the house — something she avoided doing out of fear of being detained while pregnant and caring for another teenage son.

DHS denies these claims, saying the boy was taken into custody only after his father told officers he wanted the child to remain with him. Officials said they attempted to place the boy with relatives before detaining him alongside his father. Following the incident, DHS issued a statement on X, stating, “Parents are asked if they want to be removed with their children, or ICE will place the children with a safe person the parent designates.”

Continue reading

visa-3653492_1280On December 2, 2025, USCIS issued a policy memorandum placing a hold on numerous immigration benefit requests and ordering the re-examination of previously approved cases.

What the Memo Says: Key Provisions

  • Pending benefit requests frozen for many nationals. USCIS is pausing processing of all pending immigration benefit requests if the applicant’s country of birth or citizenship is one of the 19 countries listed in the June 2025 travel ban.
  • Affected Benefit Requests: The pause will affect pending Form I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status), Form I-90 (Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)), Form N-470 (Application to Preserve Residence for Naturalization Purposes), Form I-751, (Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence), and Form I-131 (Application for Travel Documents, Parole Documents, and Arrival/Departure Records).
  • Re-review of approved benefits. Immigration benefits (green cards, status adjustments, travel documents, etc.) already approved may now be subject to re-review if the beneficiary entered the U.S. on or after January 20, 2021.
  • Asylum applications on pause — for everyone. All pending Forms I-589 (Asylum / Withholding of Removal applications) have been paused, regardless of nationality. The hold will remain in effect until lifted by the USCIS Director
  • Extensive list of potentially affected benefits. The freeze could impact I-485 adjustment-of-status applications, green-card renewals, travel documents, removal of conditional residence, preservation of residence for naturalization, and more. Employer-sponsored petitions may also face delays or uncertainty.

In short: thousands of pending and even approved immigration benefit cases could now be delayed or re-evaluated. The USCIS policy memorandum states that in light of recent threats to the American people:

Continue reading

boy-5752925_1280
San Diego’s immigration community has been rattled by new reports that Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) is arresting individuals with no criminal history during routine green card interviews at USCIS offices—a practice that is historically unprecedented and deeply alarming.

What’s Happening


Starting in early November, immigration attorneys began reporting that ICE agents had been detaining green card applicants at routine interviews conducted at USCIS field offices.

judge-3008038_1280This week, the Justice Department announced that it has hired 36 new immigration judges — 11 permanent and 25 temporary — for the Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR), a key agency that handles immigration court proceedings in deportation cases.

What’s happening?


The hiring comes after several months of layoffs among immigration judges occurring earlier this year. In the past 10 months, EOIR fired more than 125 judges, causing delays in immigration court proceedings across the country.

The courts in Massachusetts and Illinois were among the most affected by these departures. The good news is these newly hired judges will begin serving across 16 states nationwide.

Who are the new judges?


  • The permanent hires largely come from federal‑government backgrounds: some from EOIR itself, some from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), and others who previously trained agents or worked as asylum officers.
  • The temporary hires include military attorneys drawn from the Marines, Navy, Air Force, and Army.
  • These changes accompany a modification in DOJ policy that lowers the qualification requirements for temporary judges—prior immigration law experience is no longer mandatory.

Continue reading

ai-generated-8775233_1280On October 3, 2025, a coalition of labor unions, healthcare providers, academic institutions, and religious groups, filed a lawsuit urging a federal court to strike down the $100,000 fee imposed on new H-1B petitions by the Trump administration for workers outside the United States.

What the Lawsuit Says


The lawsuit, filed in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, argues that the fee which took effect September 21, violates both the Immigration and Nationality Act and the Administrative Procedure Act. Plaintiffs claim the President lacks authority to unilaterally impose a fee of this kind, especially one designed to raise revenue or direct government spending.

The Trump administration’s sudden rollout of the H-1B fee caused immediate disruptions:

  • Workers abroad scrambled to return to the United States, paying steep travel costs.
  • Others inside the U.S. canceled planned international travel.
  • Some even asked to deplane midflight upon hearing the news.

The fee is seen by critics as a threat to institutions that rely heavily on skilled foreign workers—such as universities, health systems, and religious groups—particularly in fields already facing staffing shortages.

Continue reading

ai-generated-9069946_1280The legal immigration landscape was shaken once again late Friday evening when the President issued a new proclamation barring new H-1B workers from entering the United States—unless their employers pay a $100,000 fee for each sponsored employee.

The proclamation took effect at 12:01 a.m. EDT on Sunday, September 21, and will remain in effect until a court order halts its implementation.

Emergency Litigation


A surge of emergency lawsuits is expected to be filed by impacted H-1B workers and their sponsoring employers, seeking a nationwide injunction to stop the implementation of the executive order. A court could issue an injunction as early as Monday. We will provide litigation updates as they develop in the coming days.

Highlights of the Executive Order


  • Effective today September 21, 2025, certain H-1B workers will be denied entry into the United States unless their employer pays a $100,000 fee on their behalf, according to the proclamation signed by President Trump late Friday.
  • Application: The ban on entry and the associated fee requirement applies only to any new H-1B visa petitions submitted after 12:01 a.m. eastern daylight time on September 21, 2025. This includes the 2026 lottery, and any other H-1B petitions submitted after 12:01 a.m. eastern daylight time on September 21, 2025.
  • The proclamation does not apply to:
    • any previously issued H-1B visas, or any petitions submitted prior to 12:01 a.m. eastern daylight time on Sept. 21, 2025.
    • does not change any payments or fees required to be submitted in connection with any H-1B renewals. The fee is a one-time fee on submission of a new H-1B petition.
    • does not prevent any holder of a current H-1B visa from traveling in and out of the United States.
  • Misuse of B Visas: The proclamation warns that individuals with approved H-1B petitions should not misuse B visas to enter the U.S. for jobs that start before October 1, 2026.
  • National Interest Exemptions: The proclamation grants the Department of Homeland Security authority to issue exemptions for individuals, specific employers, or workers in designated industries—if the agency determines that the H-1B employment serves the national interest and poses no threat to U.S. security or public welfare.
  • Termination: Absent a court order, this restriction will remain in effect for 12 months but may be extended based on recommendations from federal immigration agencies. An extension would continue the ban for individuals approved under the FY 2027 H-1B cap.
  • Changes to the Prevailing Wage: Besides restricting H-1B entry, the proclamation directs the Department of Labor to revise prevailing wage levels and prioritize H-1B approvals to high-skilled, high-paid H-1B workers.

In the hours after the proclamation was issued, chaos unfolded as H-1B visa holders, advised by their employers and legal counsel, abandoned flights and canceled international travel due to uncertainty about how the proclamation would be enforced at the U.S. border.

Adding to the uncertainty was the absence of clear guidance from immigration authorities, including the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Customs and Border Protection (CBP), about how the proclamation is to be enforced against current H-1B visa holders and approved beneficiaries.

Continue reading

raul-najera-TAqspfWom04-unsplash-1-scaledOn September 18, 2025, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) published a notice in the Federal Register announcing the implementation of a newly revised civics test for naturalization applicants, known as the 2025 Naturalization Civics Test.

This updated version builds on the 2020 test—and will replace the existing 2008 civics examination for most applicants.

The civics test remains a key component of the naturalization process, intended to evaluate an applicant’s knowledge of U.S. history, government, and civic responsibilities. While the English language portion of the test remains unchanged, the civics section has been updated to improve clarity and educational relevance.

What’s New & What’s the Same


  • The 2025 Civics Test builds off the 2020 version (which had been previously introduced by the Trump administration but not widely used), making modifications in content and procedure.
  • About 75% of the questions come from the 2008 test—some carried over exactly, others reworded or updated to reflect current educational goals. The rest (~25%) are entirely new content. Some 2008 questions were removed altogether.
  • English‑language requirements remain the same. The focus is on updating the civics portion only.

Key Changes in Test Procedure


  • The question bank used is the same 128‑question bank that had been introduced in 2020.
  • Applicants will be asked up to 20 questions and must answer at least 12 correctly to pass.
  • A procedural change: the USCIS officer can stop asking additional questions once the applicant either passes (i.e. reaches 12 correct answers) or fails (i.e. accumulates 9 incorrect answers). This reduces extra, unnecessary questions for both parties.

Continue reading

26493199526_8a6efa5192_z

Flickr Creative Commons Attribution Jeroen Akkermans

In the last months, the U.S. Department of State released two significant policy updates that impact both immigrant and nonimmigrant visa applicants. These updates focus on a core change: applicants will now be required to have their visa interviews in their place of residence or country of nationality.

This change has significant consequences for third-country nationals who have traditionally applied for U.S. visas outside their country of nationality, particularly those renewing H-1B, E, O, and L visas, as well as immigrant visa applicants outside the United States.

Immigrant Visa Applicants Must Apply in their Country of Residence


On August 28, 2025, the State Department announced that, starting November 1, 2025, immigrant visa applicants must attend their interviews at a U.S. consulate or embassy located in their country of residence, or in their country of nationality, with limited exceptions. The update applies across all immigrant visa categories, including Diversity Visas.

There are exceptions to this rule, though they are limited. Exceptions may be granted in rare cases involving humanitarian or medical emergencies, or in circumstances involving specific foreign policy considerations. Applicants residing in countries where routine U.S. visa services have been suspended or paused will need to process their case at a designated consular post, which is typically assigned by the State Department to handle cases from those particular regions.

Existing appointments for immigrant visa interviews scheduled prior to November 1st will not be cancelled or rescheduled.

Same Policy Applies to Nonimmigrant Visa Applicants


A similar change was later announced on September 6, 2025, for nonimmigrant visa applicants. Effective immediately, nonimmigrant visa applicants must also apply for their visa in their country of residence or nationality. This means that individuals cannot simply choose a different country’s embassy based on convenience or shorter wait times unless they reside there or are citizens of that country. This applies to all third country nationals who previously traveled to embassies or consulates in Mexico or Canada to renew their nonimmigrant visas.

Continue reading

prison-370112_1280Introducing sweeping changes, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has expanded its role by gaining law enforcement powers previously limited to agencies like Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

Under a new final rule published today, USCIS will now recruit 1,811-classified special agents—fully empowered officers with authority—to investigate, arrest, and prosecute individuals violating U.S. immigration laws.

What’s Changed?


  • Law Enforcement Authority: The newly designated USCIS special agents are authorized to carry firearms, execute search and arrest warrants, make arrests, and use force—including in pursuit and potentially lethal situations—under standard federal law enforcement protocols.
  • Operational Autonomy: Previously, USCIS investigations—especially those involving criminal violations—were referred to Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).
  • Enforcement Agency: Now, USCIS itself can manage law enforcement investigations from start to finish, including investigating civil and criminal violations within the jurisdiction of USCIS and ordering expedited removal when warranted.

Continue reading